The Collie Terrier mix is one of the most popular hybrid dogs you’ll come across. It is known for its delightful appearance and distinctive personality, which make it an excellent pet for almost everyone.
However, the process of getting a purebred dog or a hybrid comes with its own set of challenges, and you might feel confused about which one to opt for. Read on to know all about Collie Terrier mixes and ensure you get the best one for your home.
What is Collie Terrier Mix?
The collie was used to herd sheep and the terrier was used to hunt vermin. The collie terrier mix was used to herd sheep and hunt rabbits. Later on, the breed became popular as a hunting and guard dog.
Its puppies are a crossbreed between two dog breeds: the collie and the terrier. They are medium-sized dogs that have all the best features of both their parents.
Lineage of Terrier Border Collie Mix
The term “collie” originated in Scotland during this period when shepherds would use light-colored dogs with curly hair to herd their sheep because it was easier to see them in the snow.
The Terrier breed is also one with a long history. These small hunting dogs were used to chase foxes and other small rodents out of their dens or nests so they could be more easily captured or killed.
The word “Terrier” comes from the Latin word “terra” meaning earth or ground, which referred to the type of soil where these dogs were commonly found burrowing after prey.
Training & Care of Collie Terrier Mix
Collie terrier mix is among the most popular hybrid dogs because they have a variety of wonderful traits. Some of these awesome traits include but are not limited to:
- Alert and
- Easily Trained
These traits made them great for almost any living situation. These dogs are small and active with a lot of energy but not high-strung like many terriers. They can handle being in an apartment or house but enjoy exploring outside as well, making them the perfect breed for many homes.
But there’s something you should know about your collie terrier mix before bringing them home…
- Coming up with a training plan – because your collie terrier is likely to have mild-mannered collie traits, they may be easier to train than other terrier mixes. Many of the collie terrier mixes are puppies that are still easily trained. This is a great time to establish the rules of the house and rules for your collie. It’s also a good time to bond with your puppy.
What is Temperament of Border Collie Terrier?
These dogs are known to be very friendly and loyal towards humans.
They are very easy to train if you have a positive and consistent behavior. They love spending time with their families, and are happy to be included in whatever you happen to be doing.
These dogs are very playful and energetic, and need lots of exercise to stay healthy and happy.
Health of Collie Terrier
Keeping a healthy pet is a big responsibility. After all, you’re now responsible for someone else’s wellbeing. But don’t worry—it doesn’t have to be difficult or stressful. With the right knowledge and some good habits, keeping your Collie Terrier happy and healthy is easy. These are general tips that can apply to any breed of dog, so hopefully, you find them useful!
- Regular Vet Visits – as soon as you bring your dog home, start a regular vet visit schedule. They will benefit greatly from regular checkups, and it’s important that you keep up with the schedule. Healthy dogs have the potential to have a really long life. It depends on the breed, but when dogs are healthy, they can live around 12-14 years.
- Exercise is Important – if your Collie Terrier mix doesn’t get enough exercise, they can develop a lot of health problems. Some common issues caused by lack of exercise in dogs include weight gain, joint pain and high blood pressure.
Food & Diet
There are many different varieties of foods on the market that are suitable for your collie terrier mix and for any dog in general. If you are having a hard time what to feed your pet, then the following may just help you out.
- Dry dog food – these dog foods are made of high-quality ingredients, including meat, grains and vegetables. They contain antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to improve your dog’s immune system and fight against diseases.
- Wet dog food – this can be given as a treat or a meal for your dog. Wet dog food is made of high-quality protein and other nutrients that your dog needs to stay healthy. It is usually packed in cans or pouches, which are easy to store. Like dry dog food, wet dog food comes in different flavors, including chicken, beef or salmon. Wet dog food is suitable for dogs on a diet due to the low calories in them.
The sooner you catch a disease, the better. The same can be said for dogs. If you notice that your Collie Terrier is acting strangely, it might be a sign that they’re sick.
Diseases can progress quickly, and catching them early can save your dog a lot of pain and suffering. Diseases are much easier to prevent than they are to cure. Having said that, see to it that when you get your Collie, make sure they are vaccinated against common diseases. These diseases including:
- Distemper – one of the most common diseases in dogs, it’s highly contagious. It can lead to seizures, respiratory problems, and even death.
- Parvovirus – a highly contagious and life-threatening disease that primarily affects puppies.
- Rabies – a deadly disease that can be fatal to humans, too.
Grooming of Border Terrier
Border terriers are often overlooked when it comes to pet ownership. They’re not as popular as other breeds, and they’re also not quite as cuddly. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t worth owning! And with the right grooming routine and care plan, owning a border terrier can be even more rewarding. In such cases, as a pet owner, you have a couple of options to accomplish this.
- DIY – you may of course perform grooming to your dog on your own. With a bit of research on proper grooming routine and access to the right tools, it definitely will be a nice treat. Plus, this gives you and your dog a nice time to bond.
- Bring them to professionals – say that you don’t have much time or the know-how to perform the grooming to your collie terrier mix, no worries. There are professional dog groomers to the rescue.
Shedding of Collie Terrier Mix
If you really want to reduce the amount of shedding your collie terrier mix does, you could try some special shampoos.
These types of shampoos can reduce shedding by up to 90 percent, according to some studies.
Border terriers are also more likely to shed in the summer months, so it might be a good idea to increase your dog’s grooming routine during this time.
Are Terrier Collies Good Pets?
We all love dogs for their loyalty, friendliness and affection. And there are plenty of dog breeds out there to choose from. But if you’re looking for a breed that is small, compact, energetic and eager to learn, then terrier collie might be the perfect pet for you.
Terrier collies are known to get along well with other pets, and they’re likely to be great with children as well.
Terrier collies make great pets for families, as they’re likely to love kids and are big enough to cuddle with smaller kids as well. If you have other pets, particularly smaller or more fragile pets, a terrier collie is likely to get along well with them as well.
If you want a dog with awesome traits and great behavior coupled with unquestionable loyalty to you and the rest of the family, a collie terrier mix can be the perfect fit. Just as any other responsible fur parent, see to it that they consistently get regular checkups from your trusted veterinarian. This can give you great insights on proper grooming, which exercises will work best for them, what type of dog foods would further improve their overall health, and everything in between. After all, rest assured to receive unconditional love and affection from a collie terrier mix.